1500 protestors tell Mayor Boris Johnson that cycling needs dedicated space to make Londoners safe

A vocal but good-natured crowd of around 1500 Londoners rode the route from Tower Hill to Aldgate to tell Mayor Boris Johnson that cycling on Cycle Superhighway 2, and other dangerous roads in London, needs dedicated space to be safe.

(more photos below, and on Demotix and ibikelondon)

LCC's Ashok Sinha said, "Thanks to everyone who came on the #space4cycling protest ride on Friday 12 July, and to those many people who also helped organise and publicise the event.

"The message to Boris Johnson is clear: that cycling deaths on our city streets are not an unfortunate by-product of the increase in cycling's popularity, rather they are a disastrous consequence of the Mayor's failure to provide dedicated space for cycling on London's most dangerous roads.

"We call on the Mayor to immediately set a timetable for the redesign of Cycle Superhighway 2, and to honour his commitment made during the 2012 mayoral election to take all Superhighways to Love London, Go Dutch standards of comfort and safety."

BBC and ITN news were in attendance on the protest ride, while the Metropolitan Police kept the riders safe in concert with a skilled group of red-vested LCC marshals.

Exactly a week since Philippine de Gerin-Ricard was run over by a lorry on Cycle Superhighway 2 in Aldgate, the ride leaders laid flowers at the exact location where the French student was struck.

The word's of the victim's mother were fresh in our minds, that none of us can "understand how they can put bicycles and motor vehicles so close together at this spot".

The flowers were laid in the street at the head of the ride, and the following riders parted each side of them to pay their respects.

Where the ride ended in Altab Ali Park in Tower Hamlets, LCC chair of trustees Anne Kenrick spoke passionately about the need for change, fuelled by anger and frustration that her 15-year-old nephew Guy had been knocked off his bike by a lorry in Wandsworth earlier that day, fortunate not to have suffered worse injuries than a broken pelvis.

In the afternoon before the ride, delegates from Action on Lorry Danger met at City Hall to further remind the Mayor of the vulnerability of cyclists and pedestrians.

photos: Anna Gudaniec, Tom Bogdanowicz, MDX

• By zilky at 9:51am 11 January 2015

I feel unbelievable to form this article,which offer an impressive measure of data from which to take in more things.

Bestcollegehunt.com
  • By zilky at 7:10pm 2 February 2015

Its this sort of post that gets me roused, keeps me up late during the evening and gets me up at a young hour in the morning.

social security cell phone
  • By zilky at 9:30pm 3 February 2015

‚Äč This is a decent tips particularly to those new to blogosphere, concise and exact data…

plomberie-gaston.fr
  • By zilky at 8:14pm 15 February 2015

It has helped me a considerable measure. thank you kindly. Don't hesitate to visit my purchase portfolio lighting site.

My web resource
  • By zilky at 2:13pm 19 February 2015

I love to explore I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment.

enterprise cloud solutions
  • By zilky at 11:41am 22 February 2015

Buying cow and feeding milk from it to the children is a great idea , according to me you are doing a great job

go here
  • By alex12 at 1:18pm 23 February 2015

Consulta de Ginecología y Obstetricia en Madrid tratan las necesidades de las mujeres en todas las etapas de la vida, en la adolescencia, el embarazo, la menopausia y más allá.Proporcionar asistencia sanitaria para mujeres que requiere de una sensibilidad especial, en la Clínica DAM somos conscientes de ello y nos aseguramos de trabajar con profesionales competentes y atentos a las necesidades especiales de nuestras clientes.Cómo no, realizamos también todos los procesos de control y seguimiento del embarazo, para la detección temprana de problemas en el feto, siempre asegurando los cuidados necesarios para la madre.Revisiones Ginecologicas

This post was edited by alex12 at 9:21am 25 February 2015.

I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this.Vegas SEO conference

I expected to on account of your time I second-hand my accomplished site on a fast scratch subject I cleared together which worked effectively every event.

Efds Naturopathie