70 arrests in one week as police crack down on cycle theft across Greater London

More than 70 arrests were made last week as a result of increased activity as part of Project Cycle Ops, a partnership between Transport for London, the police and cycling groups to tackle cycle theft from public places.

Officers from the TfL-funded Metropolitan Police Service Safer Transport Command, British Transport Police and City of London Police used a range of tactics to arrest thieves.

In total, more than 50 bikes were seized, which officers are now trying to identify whether they are stolen and find their rightful owners.

11 of the bikes seized were Bromptons, recovered after a search at an address in Harrow, following intelligence into the sale of stolen bikes online.

So far, 13 bikes, including four of these have been identified as being stolen and will be returned to their owners.

In the last week, more than 1400 cyclists have had their bike security marked and registered on bikeregister.com for free using BikeRegister, the police's preferred cycle registration database and the main search tool used by the police to reunite stolen bikes to their owner.

Registering details of your bike helps the police and retailers identify and verify the legitimate owner of bikes that have been stolen or are being resold. Over 48,000 bikes have been marked and registered onto BikeRegister by the police since June 2010.

A police spokesperson said, "While operations like these send a clear message that bike theft isn't tolerated in the Capital, all cyclists are urged to register their bikes online for free to help us identify and recover them if stolen or resold."

Thanks to ISpeakBike for the photo.

Cycle thefts are up again this year in Kingston despite 'efforts' by the authorities to turn the tide. Want to know how many bikes have been stolen in your borough (or any borough?) You can find out here: http://maps.met.police.uk/tables.htm  I believe it's column 'Y' which has the Cycle thefts. I love an Excel spreadsheet!

BTW,  two bobbies were cycling down my street the other night without any lights on their bikes. "Oh, they must've fallen off" they said. Yeah, lights fall off my bike all the time.  <rolls eyes> Shouldn't they be setting some sort of example?

JF, Kingston

• By SGIAN at 5:08pm 27 October 2012

This content was deleted by SGIAN at 5:12pm 27 October 2012.

• By SGIAN at 5:08pm 27 October 2012

This content was deleted by SGIAN at 5:15pm 27 October 2012.

• By SGIAN at 5:08pm 27 October 2012

This content was deleted by SGIAN at 5:18pm 27 October 2012.

• By SGIAN at 5:08pm 27 October 2012

This content was deleted by SGIAN at 5:19pm 27 October 2012.

• By chrisp at 8:52am 29 October 2012

As far as I can see bikeregister.com is NOT free. Or maybe I'm not clever enough to find the free bit on their website.

I don't mind paying for something like this, but I do mind being told it's free when it isn't. However, www.immobilise.com is free.

CP

hmmmm, I thank myself for registering my cycle well before i read this news and have been informing others also about it.

• By Don at 11:18pm 16 November 2012

The idea of a police crackdown on cycle theft is ludicrous. This story is a blatant plant by police PR. Stolen bikes are a major criminal industry in London and if the police gave it any kind of priority, they could easily catch most of the criminals who make a living from it. Instead they prefer to devote their resources to harassing cyclists for insignificant traffic infringements.

• By zilky at 9:42pm 14 February 2015

simply needed to say great web journal and this article truly helped me. Decent blog !

My site
  • By BlackMen at 8:51am 16 February 2015

the bikes seized were Bromptons, recovered after a search at an address in Harrow, following intelligence into the sale of stolen bikes online.  Canada Goose Online Outlet

Η νέα μόδα των αγορών μέσω του διαδικτύου απαιτεί την εξυπηρέτηση απο κάποια μεταφορική. Οι μεταφορικές υπηρεσίες πλέον είναι βασική προυπόθεση για όλες τις επιχειρήσεις εμπορίου. Η εξασφάλιση και η γρήγορη μεταφορά του είναι υποχρέωση της κάθε εταιρίας μεταφοράς ενώ για οποιαδήποτε ζημιά στο αντικείμενο ο κύριος υπεύθυνος είναι η ίδια η μεταφορική εταιρία.

μεταφορικη
  • By alex12 at 1:48pm 21 February 2015

Consequently, reproductive health should always be checked and looked after by girls.enterprise cloud solutions

• By alex12 at 8:51am 1 March 2015

I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information.Internet Marketing Conference

• By zilky at 8:55pm 2 March 2015

Blog provided for us valuable data to work. You have made a stunning showing!

Plombier Ocasse

Blog provided for us valuable data to work. You have made a stunning showing!

DWI entry to Canada

Blog provided for us valuable data to work. You have made a stunning showing!

federal contractor jobs

You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site. ..

international travel with DUI

I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site. ....

taxi from delhi to jaipur

100 pure yacon syrup buy

I can't understand how Sen's decision-making criteria are useful. They are however very complex and it took me a while to understand them.

home

Poject Cycle Ops is an on-going partnership initiative involving hundreds of officers to tackle cycle theft using patrols, surveillance, intelligence-led operations and covert policing tactics. American Online tutor

click here

search engine optimisation company

Bromptons, recovered after a search at an address in Harrow, following intelligence into the sale of stolen bikes online. backlink building service reviews

• By salman at 6:37am 17 March 2015

One neat thing about being the first company to purchase the trucks is that Robichaud is pretty much involved in any design changes that may be made to the vehicle. Air Cargo to Pakistan

Thanks for this great write! I rally enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked and stumbled to check out new stuff you post...

dong ho deo tay nam

how to start a blog
  • By Tomm at 9:23am 19 March 2015
Thanks for sharing this well written article. gsniper 3 free pfd

world would look like without mobile phones, maybe you can share with us your vision of a 21st century without them….

business email list

Fotograf Reinhard Simon und Waltraud Pioch begrüßen Sie herzlich in ihrem Fotostudio “das portrait” in Frankfurt. Fotoatelier für anspruchsvolle Fotografie. Die erste Adresse in Frankfurt für Bewerbungsfotos, Businessfotos und Portraitfotos.

Fotograf

Bei uns finden Sie sämtliches Zubehör zum Aufhängen von Bildern. Vom einfachsten Bilderhaken bis hin zur Bildaufhängung mit Diebstahlschutz. Wir als Bilderrahmenprofi haben hier alle Produkte zur Bildaufhängung in einem Shop zusammengestellt.

Bilderhaken