- By London Cycling Campaign on at 11:00pm 23 August 2006
- Posted in:
- Tagged with:
Croydon Contacts is a local group which supports young people with disabilities. They used the award to take members on two fact finding trips to Bushy Park Companion Cycling in order to gain info about setting up a companion cycling project for their members in their local area.
- 11 young people with disabilities attended each event. The visits enabled the young people to see that they could cycle on adapted bikes.
- Cycling has now been viewed as accessible to the young people and as an alternative method of transport.
- Participants would now like to own adapted bikes of their own or to be able to attend companion cycling projects more frequently. LCC will be supporting them in this development.
- Croydon Contacts has also participated in the Croydon Car Free Day using adapted bikes. As well as taking part in a fun community event the group’s participation has helped to raise the profile of disabled cycling with Croydon Council and local people.