Dunwich Dynamo is a night ride to be remembered

In a new series of guest bloggers for the London Cycling Campaign, Cherry Fitzsimmons tells us about her experience of the infamous Dunwich Dynamo, a turn-up-and-go challenging free-entry overnight 120 mile bicycle road ride from London Fields in Hackney to the lovely, lonely Suffolk beach at Dunwich.

This year's Dynamo, DunRun, DD number 21, DDXXI, will be on the weekend of 20-21 July 2013 where there will be almost a full moon to light the way.

There are nights in your life which you remember for being some of the best of your life, those nights which feel like a beautiful dream, hazy and distant and so great in your memory that they don’t seem like they were ever real; you know for sure they could never be recreated. Of being 17 and discovering music and boys and dancing like it’s your last night on earth; or the last night of a summer spent traveling – staying up all night and into the afternoon with precious friends, knowing you will never all be together again. Cycling the Dunwich Dynamo was one of those nights.

The Dunwich Dynamo, an over night bike ride, celebrating it’s 20th year, is a semi-organised event, usually held on the Saturday in July closest to the full moon. Cyclists meet at London Fields, Hackney and cycle approximately 120 miles to Dunwich on the Suffolk Coast.

It felt like a right of passage, my 4th summer in London and it was only now I was bold enough to do the Dunwich Dynamo. Leaving the streets of Hackney we knew too well, we started off, fairly cautious, not wanting to burn out too early, following the red back lights of other cyclists through the A roads of outer London and the rowdiness of Saturday night in Essex suburbia. We were pacing ourselves, and before we realised we were 30 miles down and in the countryside proper. We came to a stop at a country pub, hundreds of cyclists taking the opportunity for what seemed like the first natural stop, there was a feeling of quiet excitement.

We peddled through the night, each in our own rhythms, hundreds of people in a formation.  Not being able to see anything around you, but the flicker of red rear bike lights guiding your way caused other sense to heighten, increasing awareness of your own and other people’s movements, the sense of body awareness and balance; I had a real sense of where Eve was even though I couldn’t see her.  I’d like to describe this feeling as Synesthesia, it was like nothing I’d experienced before.

We didn’t stop at the village hall set up to feed bleary eyed cyclists, nor did we stop at the Suffolk sausage vans that seemed to appear in abundance come day break, we just kept on keeping on, biting into giant chunks of rocky road as though it was apples. Eve and I just cycled together, we were in separate worlds, but at times it felt like we were riding a tandem.

I don’t remember feeling tired, I do remember my shoulders aching and feeling restless from my saddle, the rolling Suffolk Hills, so still and distant. These places in between, dawn breaking, sun rising, being unsure of the right turn but then that feeling you get when you see the name of your destination written on a sign post for a first time, collective spirit. 10 hours after we’d left our Hackney, our home, we arrived at the beach, we swam in the sea, drunk cider and slept on the beach.

Are you blogging about cycling in the city or would like to write articles for London Cycling Campaign, please send an email to info@lcc.org.uk

Become a supporter of London Cycling Campaign - to help make London a more liveable city for both cyclists and pedestrians.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:24pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:36pm 15 April 2015.

Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.

buy zolpidem online

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:36pm 15 April 2015.

I actually appreciated looking at sorts article down below, appreciate it when using the effective notion and also maintain positioning extra. entreq

It's not necessarily identified what happened inside the whole world, prior to this time had handed down as soon as the massive hammer. the full details

These can be exceedingly susceptible, besides whereas wearied in courses can reckon the temperature of a computer really accurately.SMS Tracker

These types of can be extremely sensitive, then when utilised in circuits may estimate your heat of any program incredibly accurately. her comment is here

The Kelvin gamut is the undivided that is wearied the most in the scientific neighborhood. get more info

This can be primarily some sort of macroscopic look at associated with heat range; even so heat range may also be defined microscopically. see this here

This can be primarily some sort of macroscopic look at associated with heat range; even so heat range may also be defined microscopically. advice

These types of can be extremely sensitive, then when utilised in circuits may estimate your heat of any program incredibly accurately. This Site

This can be primarily some sort of macroscopic look at associated with heat range; even so heat range may also be defined microscopically. New York on page search engine optimization

I actually appreciated looking at sorts article down below, appreciate it when using the effective notion and also maintain positioning extra.advice

I actually appreciated looking at sorts article down below, appreciate it when using the effective notion and also maintain positioning extra. Morgan Gold review

I actually appreciated looking at sorts article down below, appreciate it when using the effective notion and also maintain positioning extra. you could try here

I actually appreciated looking at sorts article down below, appreciate it when using the effective notion and also maintain positioning extra. suplementos para bajar de peso

I enjoy your site. Wonderful launch. It is extremely dependable, folks requirement to enable you to recognize ahead of they may recognize. lol when i recognize chance occurs humorous although the superior open up.. reduce belly fat

Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time.
Birthday Party

I actually appreciated looking at sorts article down below, appreciate it when using the effective notion and also maintain positioning extra. avaya

I actually appreciated looking at sorts article down below, appreciate it when using the effective notion and also maintain positioning extra. party bus

heart factors plus review

These types of can be extremely sensitive, then when utilised in circuits may estimate your heat of any program incredibly accurately. ​best moscato d'asti

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:17pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:38pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:58pm 15 April 2015.

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I really enjoy reading it. And recently I have noticed a website that very fun.  kingsford serangoon condo

• By bonton at 8:42am 8 March 2015

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:24pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:38pm 15 April 2015.

Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading.

best place to buy facebook likes

• By bonton at 9:15pm 8 March 2015

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:24pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:57pm 15 April 2015.

Thank you for sharing your great article with us. Really your article is so interesting and helpful for us. Nice article, I will keep visiting this this website to read your more article on future. how to lose weight without exercise

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:57pm 15 April 2015.

I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me. Thank you so much.
investing in silver

• By bonton at 7:41pm 11 March 2015

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:24pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:24pm 15 April 2015.

• By melissa at 3:56pm 16 March 2015

I feel strongly that love and read more on this topic. If possible, such as gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with additional information? It is very useful for me. Visit my blog: http://wellnessappliances.com/

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:38pm 15 April 2015.

• By Mckent at 2:02pm 17 March 2015

I had no idea that things can work in this manner as well. Thank you for sharing your perspective. best miter saw | best compound miter saw

You have great ideas and has made it. Hopefully the next time I will perform my dreams. Thank you for sharing the information we discuss.

Best perfume for men

• By Jimmy86 at 11:34am 20 March 2015

Really good job on the site, Thanks for guide!

Hi, this is great website to wacth free movies online without any cost just check it now: Movietubenow.ws

and also there is another website to complete the first one, this is www.movietube4k.com for great movies online with the best quality.

It is just what I was looking for and quite thorough as well. Thanks for posting this, I saw a couple other similar posts but yours was the best so far. The ideas are strongly pointed out and clearly emphasized. click here

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:19pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by AmySummers_LCC at 11:23am 13 April 2015.

This content was deleted by AmySummers_LCC at 11:23am 13 April 2015.

• By bonton at 10:21am 23 March 2015

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:24pm 15 April 2015.

I really enjoy simply reading all of your weblogs. Simply wanted to inform you that you have people like me who appreciate your work. Definitely a great post. Hats off to you! The information that you have provided is very helpful. click here

This content was deleted by LCC Membership at 1:35pm 28 April 2015.

Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.

Bangla Tutorails

This content was deleted by AmySummers_LCC at 11:23am 13 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:23pm 15 April 2015.

Thank you for your recommendation, I'll try to come here at least a time! Nice article!

Ellen - http://thebestpressurecookers.com/

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:22pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:12pm 15 April 2015.

• By ibosan at 7:22am 2 April 2015

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 5:09pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 4:47pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 4:47pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 4:46pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by AmySummers_LCC at 11:14am 13 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 4:41pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by AmySummers_LCC at 11:13am 13 April 2015.

This content was deleted by AmySummers_LCC at 11:04am 13 April 2015.

This content was deleted by AmySummers_LCC at 11:03am 13 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 4:36pm 15 April 2015.

This content was deleted by rosie_lcc at 10:44am 20 April 2015.