First Mayoral candidate to #signforcycling is Caroline Pidgeon
- By AmySummers_LCC on at 3:23pm 10 March 2016
- Posted in: News and blogs, Take action, Successes, Press
- Tagged with: caroline pidgeon, Sign for Cycling, Mayoral Elections, 2016, Liberal Democrat
Liberal Democrat, Caroline Pidgeon is the first London Mayoral candidate to come out in support of the London Cycling Campaign’s call to make cycling safe and enjoyable for everyone in London.
London Cycling Campaign (LCC) welcomes the commitment made today by the Liberal Democrat candidate for London Mayor, Caroline Pidgeon, to meet the three-point agenda set out by the Sign for Cycling campaign, launched by LCC on Tuesday this week. The campaign is seeking three specific commitments* from all Mayoral candidates to make London safe and enjoyable for everyone to cycle. A petition in support of this campaign has already reached over 3,000 signatures since launch this week.
Caroline Pidegon said:
“The London Liberal Democrats and I are fully committed to meeting the three-point agenda of LCC's Sign for Cycling Campaign.
I am totally committed to more segregated cycling facilities across the whole of London, real action to tackle London's most dangerous junctions and gyratories and speeding up the delivery of Quiteway routes. I support the roll out of the Mini-Holland programme to every London Borough. We also need to tackle the immense danger of HGVs with a rush hour ban and reducing the need for lorry movements, such as through better use of the Thames.
To deliver all this, investment in cycling must increase - by 2020 it must reach at least 3% of TfL's budget.”
Amy Summers, Campaigns Coordinator at LCC said:
“We’re delighted that Caroline, a long term advocate of improved conditions for cycling in London, is supporting our ‘Sign for Cycling’ campaign. We welcome her full commitment to meeting our three-point agenda, if elected as Mayor, which will make cycling safe and enjoyable for everyone to cycle, enabling more journeys to be made by bike.
Over 3,000 Londoners have signed our petition in just two days since Sign for Cycling launched on Tuesday, demonstrating that Londoners want a cleaner, happier and healthier city. If delivered, our three-point agenda will go a long way to make that a reality.”
Caroline Pidgeon at the big Space for Cycling Ride 2014
*Sign for Cycling Three Point Agenda:
Sign for Cycling is LCC’s campaign calling on the London Mayoral candidates to make cycling safer for everyone. Candidates are asked to commit to the following three point agenda, if elected:
- Trebling the total length of protected space for cycling on London’s streets (as compared to the total length expected to be installed under the Vision for Cycling by, or soon after, the current Mayor leaves office).
- Initiating a programme to extend Mini-Holland style schemes to every London borough.
- Using the Safer Lorries Scheme - plus all mayoral powers in relation to procurement, planning and regulation – to move as quickly as possible to a situation where “direct vision” lorries are the norm on London’s streets.
Press Contact: email@example.com | 020 9234 9310