Join our 'space for cycling' ride on 2 September telling the Mayor we need dedicated space for cycling
- By London Cycling Campaign on at 12:31pm 25 July 2013
- Posted in: News and blogs
- Tagged with: ride, parliament, space for cycling, get britain cycling, emails
Despite the four recent cycling deaths and thousands of people taking to London’s streets in protest, Mayor Boris Johnson has ignored the public’s clamour for safe space for cycling.
That’s why we’re organising another ‘space for cycling’ ride on Monday 2 September 2013, this time coinciding with the Parliamentary debate on cycling that evening (why not take part in handing out flyers?).
We invite all Londoners to join us riding through Parliament Square in support of the cycling debate, sending a clear message to our Mayor that Londoners demand dedicated space for cycling.
The debate will discuss the recommendations of the All-Party Parliamentary Cycling Group's Get Britain Cycling report, supported by The Times, and to which we and many other campaigning organisations and individuals contributed.
Our protest will remind the Mayor that providing dedicated space for cycling is vitally important for make our streets safe and inviting for everyone:
- Main roads and major junctions need to be made safe for cycling using segregated tracks and cyclist-specific traffic lights to protect people from fast-moving and heavy motor traffic.
- Local streets – where people predominantly live and shop – should transformed into spaces that are safe for cycling and walking by removing through motor traffic and reducing its speed.
Please join our peaceful ‘space for cycling’ protest at Jubilee Gardens at 6pm (for 6.30pm start) on Monday 2 September.
The ride will be marshalled by experienced LCC volunteers, and there are guided rides (see map) organised by our local groups to bring supporters in from locations outside the city centre.
If you support 'space for cycling', please sign up for regular emails to stay up to date with our campaigns.
Buy a 'space for cycling' T-Shirt here
Download posters and flyers to promote the ride here
Don't forget you can wear our Twibbon on your Facebook or Twitter profile