London Cycling Campaign condemns Minister Eric Pickles call for more cars in our town centres

View Larger Map

The London Cycling Campaign has challenged the recent pronouncement from Community and Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles that more and cheaper car parking will benefit our town centres.

We believe it’s a myth that more or cheaper parking will improve the economic situation for high streets/business, and that it should be accepted that on-street car parking is a privilege.

There’s little evidence that increasing the quantity of car parking improves town centres; in many instances it’s more likely to increase congestion and make town centres less appealing for shoppers.

There’s plenty of evidence from the UK (look at Broadway Market, Hackney) that cycling can lead to economic regeneration, as well as similar evidence from cities like New York, where businesses around new segregated cycle tracks are booming.

On the other hand, there are many town centres (see the image of Lewisham High Street above) that are often choked with motor traffic to the detriment of local residents and businesses.

Car ownership in London – the most prosperous city in the UK by far - has been decreasing steadily for over a decade, making a nonsense of the simplistic attitude from the Minister.

One of the key barriers to providing safe space for cycling is politicians' unwillingness to put cycling safety ahead of parking for private motor vehicles on the public highway.

As it stands, too often cyclists are forced into narrow, intimidating spaces between parked and parking cars, as well as into the path of opening car doors and moving traffic.

This danger and discomfort is the reason why most people currently won’t cycle in town centres, which in turn is a major reason why so many town centres are congested with motor traffic, with too many people making unnecessary short trips by car.

To make cycling a genuinely safe and comfortable option, it’s essential to reduce car parking.

Pickles' proposals directly harm cycling, as well as reducing quality of life and people’s environment in town centres.

This neglect of the environment also harms walking, and reduces the quality of life

Many have sensibly made the point that it’s confusing that nationwide 20mph speed limits in towns are rejected by the Coalition Government on the basis that “local areas know better”, but that national guidance is deemed appropriate to increase car parking.

• By AnneE at 7:30pm 23 October 2014

It is incredible campaign have to support this campaign really and essay writing company reviews basically growing up way in internet about education. I really appreciating your article.

• By zilky at 9:20am 11 January 2015

I am stunned in the wake of seeing these pictures! I cherish all of them! I show kindergarten

TechPatio
  • By zilky at 5:33pm 22 January 2015

I am energetic about. I have searched for data of this bore for the last a few hours. Your site is extraordinarily increased in value.

plombier-agree-paris
  • By zilky at 9:15pm 23 January 2015

I truly don't comprehend what it says however when all is said in done I like the configuration of the site.

SmartDoggi
  • By zilky at 8:57pm 3 February 2015

I simply unearthed your enlightening blog and needed to say that I have truly appreciated perusing your exceptionally elegantly composed blog entries.

maitre serrurier
  • By zilky at 5:10pm 5 February 2015

Fantastic article, well written and extremely useful. Happy important info I received out of your web-site.

Afro Kinky
  • By zilky at 1:32pm 8 February 2015

This site is extremely elegantly composed and I admire your endeavors.. Keep doing awesome. A debt of gratitude is in order regarding the pleasant site.

taner tozan plagiarist
  • By zilky at 12:19pm 11 February 2015

Helpful and fascinating which we discuss with you so i suspect as much it is extremely valuable and proficient.

wood working projects
  • By zilky at 4:01pm 12 February 2015

This is a pleasant post in an intriguing line of content.Thanks for imparting this article, awesome method for bring this subject to discussion.

Custody lawyer NYC
  • By zilky at 8:37pm 15 February 2015

I simply bounced over to your site by means of StumbleUpon. A debt of gratitude is in order regarding making something worth perusing.

My article
  • By zilky at 3:31pm 18 February 2015

Yes its great to peruse. Completely it is exceptionally amazing, without a doubt I impart this site to my companion circle. Looking more data.

Painter and Decorator Edinburgh
  • By alex12 at 4:54pm 19 February 2015

Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles that more and cheaper car parking will benefit our town centres. read more

• By alex12 at 2:40pm 22 February 2015

Centres are congested with motor traffic, with too many people making unnecessary short trips by car.enterprise cloud software

• By zilky at 9:34pm 22 February 2015

Have a decent day.It's extremely helpful for everybody without a doubt. you posting relative data and its currently getting to be simpler to finish this undertaking.

ketogenic diet

Laboratorio de análisis clínicos en Clínica DAM, calle Marqués de Jura Real, 12, 28019 Madrid, teléfono 91 460 80 00.Más del 70 por ciento de todas las decisiones de salud se basan en la información vital proporcionada por los análisis clínicos realizados en los laboratorios.Nuestro servicio al cliente atiende con rapidez sus demandas sobre el estado de los análisis, instrucciones sobre manipulación de especímenes o petición de análisis.Laboratorio de Analisis Clinicos

I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.IM conference vegas

• By zilky about 20 hours ago

This was a truly exceptional post. In principle I might want to create like this as well - requiring some investment and genuine push to make strong Information

Formation Efds
  • By mishi about 10 hours ago
Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.   build your app