Londoners lead the way for cycle commuting and taking public transport to work

Hackney has seen the biggest increase in cycling across England and Wales, while public transport use has increased across Greater London more than anywhere else, according to a new study.

This is the result of new research on commuting journeys in the 2011 census data by Dr Anna Goodman, Research Fellow at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and follows other reports showing a decline in car use over the same period.

READ THE STUDY

In Greater London, 4.3% of commutes were made on bicycle, up by 1.7% since 2001, making London the highest cycling region of England and Wales.

In Hackney the number of commuting cyclists increased more than any other local authority in the country, with 15.4 % of all commuters cycling in 2011, up 8.6% since 2001.

Cycling to work increased in 29 out of 33 Greater London boroughs, with Islington (10.1%, up 5.0%), City of London (6%, up 4.1%), Lambeth (8.5%, up 4.0%) and Southwark (7.7%, up 3.8%) closely following Hackney’s lead.

The London figures compare with 3.1% of all journeys to work were made on bicycle across England and Wales, an increase of just 0.1% since 2001.

Dr Goodman from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, said: “London has seen an impressive increase in the proportion of people opting to cycle to work. Most interestingly, we are starting to see more affluent people cycling to work, which bucks the trend of the wealthiest usually being in their cars while those less well-off walk, cycle or use public transport.”

Public transport use up, car use down

Public transport use increased more in Greater London than any other region, with 53.4% of all commuters choosing public transport in 2011, up by 7.3% since 2001.

19 of the top 20 local authorities with the biggest increase in public transport commuters were in Greater London, with Newham (67.8% of people used public transport to commute, up by 11.0% since 2001), Hounslow (43.0%, up 10.2%), Greenwich (58.0%, up 9.2%), Harrow (44.3%, up 9.1%) and Barking and Dagenham (48.7%, up 8.9%) topping the table.

Across England and Wales, public transport commuting made up just 17.8% of commutes, up by 1.8% since 2001.

The proportion of car use for commuting in Greater London fell across all boroughs, with just 32.2% of commuters using the car to get to work in 2011, down 8.8% since 2001.

Dr Goodman added, “As a lifelong Southwark resident, I’m proud to see London leading the way – and to see that Transport for London recognises there's also still much more do to.

"This gives me some hope that people are travelling in the right direction towards creating a healthier and more environmentally sustainable transport system.”

Although cycling often gets more attention from policy-makers interested in encouraging people to do more exercise, the findings also suggest that walking should be considered a priority, with 9.0% of journeys to work made on foot in Greater London, and many more doing significant amounts of walking during public transport commutes.

• By zilky at 8:04am 11 January 2015

You're truly modestly taught and extraordinarily savvy. I'm saving this for future usage.

Converter

To find more information please check I thank you for taking as much time as obliged bestowing your thoughts and musings to a lot of perusers out there.

Advantage Grand Canyon
  • By zilky at 8:18am 22 January 2015

I accept there are numerous more individuals that vibe truly content to have seen this site page.

assaini star
  • By zilky at 9:02pm 4 February 2015

I most likely impart your perspectives to my nearby companions keeps doing awesome.

assistance serrurier15min 24h24
  • By zilky at 8:20am 8 February 2015

That was extremely instructive and exceptionally captivating for me. A debt of gratitude is in order regarding posting Really Such Things.

taner tozan

I'm most likely encountering every last look for you and inspect out new items you distribute.

gemmes gratuit
  • By zilky at 10:46am 11 February 2015

This kind of smart work of composing and scope is a glorious work I truly appreciate the ability of the author.

teds woodworking package
  • By zilky at 5:34pm 12 February 2015

Great post i truly appreciated understanding it and i for one don't knew much about this stuff a debt of gratitude is in order regarding sharing.

parachute pants for men
  • By zilky at 8:49pm 15 February 2015

Great! These articles composed excessively great,they rich substance and information accurately.they are help to me.

My web resource
  • By zilky at 2:32pm 18 February 2015

This is an elegantly composed article on this subject.Numerous a debt of gratitude is in order regarding this info.Thank you giving.!

Painter and Decorator Edinburgh
  • By zilky at 8:23am 19 February 2015

I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back however i would expect by all the remarks that this is working for you too.

on the website
  • By zilky at 2:03pm 19 February 2015

I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great work, have a nice holiday weekend!

enterprise cloud solutions
  • By zilky at 10:55am 21 February 2015

I truly acknowledge investing sooner or later to discuss that, I accept solidly in regards to this thus truly appreciate seeing all the more about this sort of subject.

rezforhire.com/resume-objective-examples/objective-for-resume-examples/
  • By alex12 at 4:59pm 22 February 2015

Wealthiest usually being in their cars while those less well-off walk, cycle or use public transport.”Discover More

• By zilky at 4:30pm 24 February 2015

Furthermore it gave mo thoughts on the best way to profit in advertising business.

music creation software
  • By alex12 at 5:23pm 25 February 2015

Laboratorio de análisis clínicos en Clínica DAM, calle Marqués de Jura Real, 12, 28019 Madrid, teléfono 91 460 80 00.Más del 70 por ciento de todas las decisiones de salud se basan en la información vital proporcionada por los análisis clínicos realizados en los laboratorios.Nuestro servicio al cliente atiende con rapidez sus demandas sobre el estado de los análisis, instrucciones sobre manipulación de especímenes o petición de análisis.Analisis de Sangre

• By zilky at 5:38pm 25 February 2015

I will most likely be back. Alluring post. I simply discovered your blog post and wish to say that I have truly appreciated investigation your blog entries.

• By alex12 at 7:46am 2 March 2015

Principle for quickly and easily connecting with a man and getting him to truly commit to you on a deep and emotional level.IM conference vegas

• By zilky at 11:25am 3 March 2015

The lovely precious stones have added the mystical completing touch to innumerable wedding outfits.

Serrurerie Cassini
  • By zilky at 8:08am 11 March 2015

I think you made some great focuses in Features moreover. Continue working, extraordinary employment!

scooterjudge.com
  • By zilky at 8:33am 14 March 2015

I have feel that this website is truly have each one of those quality that qualify an online journal to be an one.

Free Ringtones
  • By zilky at 11:29am 15 March 2015

I want to peruse this sort of articles, I trust you will upgrade it. Much thanks to you for offering it to me.

iherb promo code
  • By alex12 at 1:53pm 15 March 2015

I realy like this video please must watch this latest video song ...thanks for sharing latest songs

• By zilky at 2:51pm 15 March 2015

Great work each mate can get loads of fascinating data, continue posting this sort of splendid articles.

• By zilky at 8:07pm 17 March 2015

The post ought to have heavenly direction on this imperative matter. This post you have made here couldn't be composed any better!

3ds emulator

exped air pillow review
  • By zilky at 11:20am 20 March 2015

After all I'll be subscribing to your rss channel and I trust you compose again soon! I am virtually satisfied with your great work.

find

bilete ieftine avion

I constantly emailed this site post page to all my friends, because if prefer to read it then my all friends will too. best reddit usernames