2 of London's 33 councils have committed to our 'Safer Lorries, Safer Cycling' pledge
- By London Cycling Campaign on at 1:18pm 21 January 2013
- Posted in: News and blogs
- Tagged with: safety equipment, council leader, safer lorries, safer cycling, driver training, hgvs
Two councils in London, Islington and Waltham Forest, have taken LCC's Safer Lorries, Safer Cycling pledge to only using the safest lorries and best-trained drivers to make cycling safer.
Sadly, over 30 councils have yet to make a similar pledge even though half of cyclist deaths in the capital involve lorries, as do many pedestrian and motorcycle fatalities.
A total of 8 councils have been identified as doing almost nothing to protect cyclists and other vulnerable road users from lorry danger:
Barnet, Bexley, Croydon, Kingston, Merton, Richmond Upon Thames, Tower Hamlets and Wandsworth
LCC chief executive Ashok Sinha said, "Our councils have a duty to only use the safest lorries and best-trained drivers.
"The lack of action of the 10 worst councils stands in sharp contrast to the great work on lorry safety done by the best councils and other major lorry transport users such as Transport for London."
Islington council leader Catherine West said, "Working to give lorry drivers the right training and equipment is one way we can make London's roads safer."
Waltham Forest council environment portfolio holder Clyde Loakes said, "Waltham Forest has strong ambitions to not just to reduce road danger, but to enable many more residents of all ages to cycle and walk more often and, crucially, more safely."
- LCC has been in contact with all 33 councils in recent months, lobbying them to raise their standards of lorry safety to make everyone in London safer.
- And over 2000 Londoners have already used LCC's online letter-writing tool to write to their council leader calling on them to take our Safer Lorries pledge.
- 22 other councils, despite taking some steps towards improving lorry safety, have failed to match our Safer Lorries pledge.
Please use our online letter-writing tool to write to your council today calling on them to take our Safer Lorries, Safer Cycling pledge.