Prime Minister’s new funding falls massively below the level of investment needed to make cycling “soar”

Cameron on a bike

Prime Minister David Cameron this week announced a modest £77 million to boost cycling infrastructure across the whole of the UK - a sum of money that can’t possibly address decades of underfunding.

The money will be put towards a number of worthwhile cycling projects in British cities, but the sum is nowhere near enough to make cycling “soar” in the way Mr Cameron claims it will.

Eight cities have succeeded in bidding for central government money for cycling projects: Greater Manchester £20m, West Yorkshire £18.1m, Birmingham £17m, West of England £7.8m, Newcastle £5.7m, Cambridge £4.1m, Norwich £3.7m and Oxford £0.8m.

When local funding and previously allocated money is added to the pot of new money, the total for cycling is £148 million over three years.

This figure equates to around £1 per head of population, which is way short of spending of £30/head in the Netherlands (over many years) or even the £10/head proposal put forward by the All-Party Parliamentary Cycling Group in its Get Britain Cycling report.

Some schemes, such as the Dutch-style cycle tracks in south Manchester, appear to have great merit and are following Dutch principles; however, others such as the one in Leeds, have come in for strong criticism.

£77 million won't scratch the surface

Overall, however, the £77 million funding will barely scratch the surface of the UK's urban streets and rural roads, which are often deeply hostile to cycling.

Cycling might be increasing in popularity in Greater London, but elsewhere in the UK the story is often very different.

Some might argue that there simply isn't the money available, but the new cycling funding pales into insignificance compared with the £28 billion for new road projects recently proposed by the current government.

Indeed, the entire UK cycling allocation is significantly less than the cost of the proposed Bexhill-Hastings link road in West Sussex (estimated at £100 million), which is one tiny piece of the government's new road-building programme.

Surely there’s some mistake when central government funding for cycling is less than the money spent on a new highway between two towns that are only four miles apart, and already have an A-road connecting them which is largely used for local journeys.

Perhaps Mr Cameron could ask his advisors if there are any modes of transport that offer a huge return on investment, provide massive health benefits to users, save people money, and are suitable for replacing short journeys along a relatively flat route.

Yes, the £77 million will fund another bunch of pilot projects, but it fails to accept that the arguments for building high-quality Dutch-style infrastructure have been won.

The billions available for other major transport projects - £28 billion for roads, £50 billion for HS2 and £20 billion for Crossrail - demonstrate amply that this government doesn’t take cycling seriously as a mode of transport.

A quick calculation reveals that the Prime Minister's new money would only buy about 150 metres of Crossrail track.

Lack of a national cycling strategy

What's most disturbing long-term is that there’s no national strategy to boost cycling, and that this new money will barely correct the damage (as observed in Lancaster) caused by the scrapping of Cycling England in 2010.

For many years, Cycling England efficiently channelled funding from goverment departments and local councils into effective projects to boost cycling in towns and cities, until it was disbanded.

The fact is that without strong political leadership from the Prime Minister, including the creation of a Cabinet-level post with responsibility for sustainable transport promotion, then cycling across the UK will struggle to “soar” any time soon.

Our 'space for cycling' protest ride on 2 September is a great opportunity to show the Mayor and the Prime Minister there's an appetite among ordinary Britons for investment in high-quality cycling infrastructure.

UK cycling projects

• By rodene at 8:09am 7 January 2015

This blog has lots of very useful information on it! Thanks for helping me.

Dejero live
Digital Asset Management solution

• By zilky at 11:03am 11 February 2015

I ended up in the spot of the explorer.  I think we're having a ton of fun. I think our clients truly like our items.

woodworkinghelper.org woodworkinghelper.org
  • By zilky at 8:30am 9 February 2015

This one is awesome and is truly a decent post. I think it will help me a considerable measure in the related stuff and is all that much valuable for me.

HD Video Download
  • By zilky at 3:11pm 10 January 2015

This blog has lots of very useful information on it!

• By zilky at 8:25am 11 January 2015

This is just the information I am finding everywhere.me and my sidekick were battling about an issue like this!

Skope Mag
  • By alex12 at 5:36pm 22 February 2015

Its followers can then suppress all other possible ways seeing the particular issue at hand.enterprise cloud software

The question is - why does the Government not get it?

Is it because transport academics and public health professionals get drowned out by lobbying from aviation and motoring businesses? Is it because MPs don't believe that Britain can ever be made into a better place for cycling (it definitely won't if they're not prepared to spend money on it)? Or do some MPs have an irrational bias against 'cyclists'?

All they have to to is read the All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group's report and act on all its recommendations.

Investing in cycling infrastructure is cost-effective and is particularly important in today's harsh economic climate. It will reduce healthcare costs and make Britain more competitive by reducing congestion and transport costs.

It is really important that the voice of reason is heard loudly, and people write to MPs, councillors, newspapers etc. to spread this message. It is literally a life or death decision; so far the Government has chosen death for the thousands who die due to motor vehicle air pollution or diseases caused by physical inactivity or in road transport collisions.

Investing in cycling means choosing a better quality of life for people in this country.

The idea that there isn't enough money is, of course, nonsense.  The last time I checked (and I'm paid to check this stuff) the Netherlands was still in recession.  Yet they still find the money to fund cycling infrastructure.

It's a political choice, and even after this announcement the UK is still choosing pitiful levels of investment in cycling.

• By raheja at 11:10am 19 January 2015

Good share,Attractive enough for me
School in rewari

• By zilky at 8:45am 22 January 2015

You without a doubt know how to bring an issue to light and make it essential.

assistance plombier 24h24
  • By raheja at 10:42am 22 January 2015

I agree with the above comment, the internet is with a doubt growing into the most important medium of communication across the globe and its due to sites like this that ideas are spreading so quickly.

Heart surgery in gurgaon
Radiology in gurgaon
Dermatologist in gurgaon

• By zilky at 10:54am 23 January 2015

I am continually hunting online down articles that can help me. There is clearly a great deal to think about this.

York Dog Walker
  • By zilky at 1:59pm 24 January 2015

I am totally stunned at how astounding the stuff is on this site.Keep up the astounding work!

online site
  • By zilky at 9:20pm 4 February 2015

I am an amateur and your prosperity is all that much a persuasion for me.

• By zilky at 8:46am 25 January 2015

That is the material which I was looking about. The matter you've highlighted above is definitely important for anybody.

appleton wi wedding photographer
  • By zilky at 4:44pm 5 February 2015

Your substance is extremely interesting.i trust that you will advantage from the substance of the thread.i will keep on following you.thank you.

Afro Kinky Curly
  • By zilky at 4:00pm 10 February 2015

I really admire your own position and I will make sure to return here. I simply got to this astounding site quite recently.

I learn some new stuff from it too, thanks for sharing your information.

technology news

I like your post it`s a brain blowing post and You can't generally say what is lovely in regards to a spot, yet the picture of the spot will remain strikingly with you.

comment avoir gemmes illimité clash of clans
  • By AnneE at 7:49am 24 October 2014

To the extent that we urge our youngsters not to play around with their school studies and to consider them important Essay Thinker, it is additionally paramount to permit them have some play.

• By zilky at 4:02pm 31 January 2015

Keep doing awesome! I am admiring your push to compose it! Anticipating an alternate incredible article. Good fortunes to the creator!

perm yaki human hair
  • By bigpete at 5:55pm 13 August 2013

My thoughts entirely.

Thank you for standing firm on behalf of cyclists (and would-be cyclists) everywhere.

• By zilky at 9:08am 8 February 2015

Your post has been exceptionally useful. A debt of gratitude is in order regarding the push to distribute this extremely instructive article.

carbonfiberco
This was really an interesting topic and I kinda agree with what you have mentioned here!

showbiz news

• By zilky at 3:43pm 12 February 2015

I am wishing you to continue with your achievement.All the best..Thanks for offering.

Family lawyer
  • By zilky at 9:06pm 12 February 2015

I would have never viewed as any of these in the event that I didn't go over this.

parachute pants for men
  • By jack13 at 8:27am 14 February 2015

I undertook quite a rigorous cycling proficiency training at school, including on road training, & have never forgotten the lessons.  Knowing what to do in traffic & at junctions is vital.

• By zilky at 8:58pm 15 February 2015

I'm truly keen on listening to how much the configuration of the star intends to individuals.

My site here
  • By jack13 at 5:41am 16 February 2015

water heater installation cost
  • By AsharSeo at 7:16am 16 February 2015

At the same time as braking, straighten your arms and move your bodyweight backwards on your seat, so you counteract the braking force..

3 credit scores
  • By jack13 at 6:34am 17 February 2015

Rigorous cycling proficiency training at school, including on road training, & have never forgotten the lessons.

property inspection
  • By jack13 at 10:57am 17 February 2015

cycling gloves

Η διαδικασία των μεταφορών και των μετακομίσεων έχει πάει σε τέτοιο επίπεδο στις μέρες μας που στις περισσότερες περιπτώσεις συμφέρει να φέρεις ένα αντικείμενο απο άλλη πόλη ή περιοχή ακόμη και απο το να επιλέξεις και να μεταφέρεις το αντικέιμενο μόνος σου ακόμη και απο τη γειτονιά σου.

ganoderma
  • By jack13 at 1:25pm 18 February 2015

This is actually pretty good. It is important to recycle materials. So that we can keep our earth pretty happy and eco friendly! Some people do not expect this in their newly brought ones.

mobile van office
  • By zilky at 2:53pm 18 February 2015

Truly awesome, much obliged! Extraordinary post.Thank you for taking the time to posting this data extremely helpfull!.

Painter and Decorator Edinburgh
  • By jack13 at 9:27am 19 February 2015

They were charged with placing windows as if they projected into masonry, and at least one brick tie needed to be placed in the opaque portion of the wall.
buy 1000 youtube views

• By jack13 at 9:28am 19 February 2015

increase youtube views
  • By zilky at 10:18am 19 February 2015

Exceptionally useful article. Almost certain individuals would love to go to that place for shopping.

Addictionspecialists.org/cocaine-withdrawal-addiction/
  • By alex12 at 11:25am 19 February 2015

Demonstrate amply that this government doesn’t take cycling seriously as a mode of transport.accounting software singapore

• By zilky at 8:25am 21 February 2015

Additionally had some major snags attempting to discover it in my neighborhood stores.

• By zilky at 9:09pm 22 February 2015

I mean I simply read through the whole article of yours This is an extraordinary article a debt of gratitude is in order regarding imparting this instructive data..

ketogenic diet food list
  • By jack13 at 8:00am 23 February 2015

finally move toward some predictability in enforcement, the establishment of a uniform appeals process, retrospective coordination of the codes, and a set, predetermined schedule for code updates and revisions.

shredding services vancouver wa
  • By jack13 at 10:59am 23 February 2015

his look like a walk in the park, and as he draws to the end of the song, he stops strumming and serenades us with a few raw lines, just his voice echoing through the microphone.

site
Thank you for some other informative blog. Where else could I get that type of information written in such an ideal means? I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information.

health news
  • By zilky at 4:49pm 24 February 2015

It ended up being exceptionally helpful to me and I am certain to all the commentators here!

buy btv solo
  • By zilky at 5:58pm 25 February 2015

This is a decent post. Must concede that you are amongst the best bloggers I have perused. Much obliged concerning posting this educational article.

www.force-emu.com
  • By alex12 at 5:36pm 25 February 2015

Laboratorio de análisis clínicos en Clínica DAM, calle Marqués de Jura Real, 12, 28019 Madrid, teléfono 91 460 80 00.Más del 70 por ciento de todas las decisiones de salud se basan en la información vital proporcionada por los análisis clínicos realizados en los laboratorios.Nuestro servicio al cliente atiende con rapidez sus demandas sobre el estado de los análisis, instrucciones sobre manipulación de especímenes o petición de análisis.Analisis Madrid

I like to peruse all the more new occupations and impart my contemplations to you. I have bookmarked this page for future use.Keep blogging.

desatascos en boadilla del monte

I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.SEO Conference

Presently I realize that I was right.Thanks for the data you post. I simply subscribe your online journal.

Efds Formation

I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work...

temporary resident permit