Royal College Street cycle tracks in Camden use planters and rumble strips to protect cyclists from motor traffic

A £50,000 scheme to improve Royal College Street in Camden has been praised for keeping cyclists away from motor traffic.

Previously, the street had a two-way track on one side of the street, which was kerb-separated from the one-way carriageway.

Now it has been replaced by single-direction cycle tracks on each side of the street, with the one-way for motor traffic kept.

The main advantage to the new scheme is that it should reduce the number of injuries to cyclists due to motorists emerging from the side roads (for example, Pratt Street and Plender Street) and failing to look in both directions for cyclists on the track.

Camden Cyclists has praised the council for its imaginative solution:

“Congratulations to Camden Council for having the vision to move from the year 2000 scheme, which was in its time a flagship one, to the current exciting scheme.

“The lane widths conform to Dutch CROW standards, the armadillos are from Barcelona, the idea of using planters came from Vancouver and I understand that the bus stops are like some in Copenhagen.”

The track widths are increased from 1.25m in each direction to 2m each way, although the useable cycle track is narrower because of the steep kerbs and planters, which cyclists can’t cycle too close to.

The route will be significantly longer than the previous incarnation too, running all the way to Kentish Town.

Parking bays also line one side of the street, although the chances of being ‘doored’ are lowered significantly by the fact that motorists opening their door would do it into the path of a cyclist coming directly towards them (rather than from behind).

There are two bus stops, one between College Place and Plender Street and the other south of Pratt Street.

In both cases, the bus stops outside the cycle track so the passengers get on and off the bus on to the track.

This arrangement has been condemned by some, but has been in use since 2000 without problems, and with a maximum of six buses per hour conflicts are likely to be few.

It’s been noted that some cyclists prefer to move into the vehicle lane to overtake buses when they’re stop, which wasn’t possible with the kerb segregation of the previous street design.

Nice balanced report. Minor corrections:

• The old 2-way track was only <2.5m in total width, 1.25m in each direction.

• Note that the street is one-way for motors, bus stops are only on one side of the street. With the old 2-way track cycles had to cross the bus stops in both directions and yet there were no reported problems.

• The council cited reduction in injuries to pedestrians (through the traffic-calming effect of removing one vehicle lane) as well as to cyclists

George Coulouris

Camden Cyclists

Royal College Street is a great design and I genuinely believe it can work in London. But something that surprises me is that there are no longer any shared pedestrian & cycle route signs or 'give way' signs/markings where cyclists approach the bus stops. It would be unrealistic to expect bus users to look out for cyclists when exiting the bus, and I have no doubt that the majority of cyclists will look out for bus users when approaching the bus stops, particularly at the exit door of the bus.

I am surprised that the design doesn't give any instruction to cyclists that bus users have priority at the bus stops. Does anyone know if there's a reason for this, e.g. Camden Council is waiting to see whether the design functions safely without such signage/markings?

• By paul at 4:19pm 27 August 2013

Or, better, move the cycle lane round the back of an island bus stop.

• By anita at 12:06pm 31 August 2013

Coming down from Kentish Town, getting onto this marvellous track requires a fair bit of zigzagging amongst motor vehicles. Have I missed something obvious, or are more improvements going to come?

maybe I should do it like you said, seems to be the best alternative! Thank you for the link! I really want to see more about it!

• By rodene at 7:38am 7 January 2015

These are really a superb showcases here I am glad to have a review of it and feel to roll on its steps for my benefit always
System Integration service providers
Apple product reseller in Mumbai
Apple authorized service center delhi

• By zilky at 11:08am 11 February 2015

I need to bless your heart. Great occupation! You folks do an extraordinary blog, and have some incredible substance. Keep doing awesome.

teds woodworking plans
  • By zilky at 8:32am 11 January 2015

its amazing, looking at the time and effort you put into your web diary and ordered information you give.

Studentcaring.com
  • By rodene at 9:02am 12 January 2015

OPJS University has been established in the year 2013, by an Act (Act No. 19 of 2008) Act No.-16 of 2013, of the Rajasthan State Legislature and is approved under section 2(f) of UGC Act 1956 vested with the authority to award Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates.
Phd admission in rajasthan
MPhil admission
Phd Courses

Costs have been kept low by using ‘armadillos’ and planters to separate motor traffic and bicycle lanes.Discover More

• By fe5ejmg at 11:42am 11 February 2015

These medical doctors are best renowned for their study of the preconceptional dietary procedure in the 70s that gives married couples the privilege of choosing their baby’s gender. The research revealed that young couples might take in certain kinds of foods to help conceive a girl. These foods are typically known as “girl diet” or the “calcium and magnesium method”. With that being said, the pre-conception diet to conceive a girl can work if the girl will eat foods that are rich in magnesium and calcium while steering clear of food products that are rich in salt and potassium, according to Dr. Jacques Lorrain and Dr. Joseph Stolkwoski.

• By jack13 at 7:08am 12 February 2015

. The economy keeps growing at your lightning quickness in China. With a markets blooming and compact entrepreneurs mushrooming everywhere India business enterprise news during equally lightening quickness is equally purchased.

Total Plumbing and Construction
  • By raheja at 11:08am 19 January 2015

OPY World School is promoted and managed by Rao Mohar Singh Education Society with the mission to provide quality education at school level.
Best school in mahendergarh
residential school in rewari

I am not sure that I can be here in this time interval, but I will try!

• By zilky at 8:50am 22 January 2015

I'm feeling extremely when I read your online journal. Yet I'll admire you for your employment. Much thanks to you for imparting this.

plomberiedasilva.fr
  • By raheja at 10:36am 22 January 2015

The Article is quite impressive and thoughts been put up has clearly got something to state. Nice Post!
Hospital in gurgaon
Liver transplant in gurgaon
Cardiology hospital in gurgaon
Best ent Hospital in gurgaon

• By zilky at 9:03pm 23 January 2015

I am simply eager to inquiry out this kind of send in exceptionally accommodating actually, in light of the fact that it has extensive variety of information.

York Dog Walker
  • By BlackMen at 12:35pm 10 February 2015

Hi there! My name is Jackseo40 I have 1 year experience in the internet marketing field. I have worked as SEO (Search Engine Optimisaton), Link Building and SMS (Social Media Serivces) consultant for several websites. I love helping businesses succeed in this constantly evolving online world.... blog commenting fiverr ideas

• By BlackMen at 12:35pm 10 February 2015

• By zilky at 2:03pm 24 January 2015

Extremely helpful post. This is my first time i visit here. I discovered such a variety of fascinating stuff in your website particularly its exchange.

try it out
  • By zilky at 9:27pm 4 February 2015

There is a great deal of data here that can help any business begin with an effective long range informal communication crusade!

depannage-serrurier-24h24
  • By zilky at 4:54pm 5 February 2015

This is an extremely elegantly composed article.It feels extraordinary to gimmick much uncovering and unequaled articles on your sites.

Afro Kinky Hair

• By k6b311l at 8:37am 29 January 2015

A lot of fathers will definitely read this guide if they have a son who is likely to be hitched and haven't made a father of the groom wedding speech yet. Nonetheless, one should not panic as this guide will offer you with data on how to create one and give one effectively. Perusing the entire article content will ensure you that you will know the very important features of the speech.

I need to urge you to at last proceed with your incredible posts, have a decent weekend!

comment avoir des gemmes gratuit
  • By zilky at 4:08pm 31 January 2015

Permits us to be considerably more inventive. Your websites and each other substance is so amusing and valuable It makes me return once more.

perm yaki human hair
  • By zilky at 9:11am 8 February 2015

Educational site coincidentally. Keep up the great work.I as of late went over your website and have been perusing along.

carbonfiberco
  • By zilky at 3:54pm 12 February 2015

There is a ton of data here that can help any business begin with an effective long range informal communication fight!

Custody
  • By zilky at 9:13pm 12 February 2015

It advises me that I need to accumulate more structure to my blogging. Your site is exceptionally intriguing.

parachute pants for women
  • By jack13 at 8:28am 14 February 2015

I undertook quite a rigorous cycling proficiency training at school, including on road training, & have never forgotten the lessons.  Knowing what to do in traffic & at junctions is vital.

• By zilky at 9:02pm 15 February 2015

I'm completely inspired, I must say, pleasant online journal, decent post and the subject here I found is truly successful.

My web article
  • By jack13 at 5:40am 16 February 2015

hot water heaters
  • By AsharSeo at 7:18am 16 February 2015

I like your post a ton! You ought to compose some all the more on this!Great employment accompanying such marvelous post!

3 credit scores
  • By jack13 at 10:26am 16 February 2015

If you're considering buying a home, you're likely aware of the complexity of the endeavor. Because of the numerous factors to consider when purchasing a home, it's important to prepare as best you can. At Sunrise Loan Services LLC, we are dedicated to finding the loan that fits your individual needs.

vigrx plus price
  • By zilky at 9:09pm 16 February 2015

The post is composed in extremely a decent way and it involves numerous valuable data for me. I acknowledged what you have done here.

download steam code generator
  • By jack13 at 6:33am 17 February 2015

Rigorous cycling proficiency training at school, including on road training, & have never forgotten the lessons.

mold testing service
  • By jack13 at 10:58am 17 February 2015

touch screen displays

Η διαδικασία των μεταφορών και των μετακομίσεων έχει πάει σε τέτοιο επίπεδο στις μέρες μας που στις περισσότερες περιπτώσεις συμφέρει να φέρεις ένα αντικείμενο απο άλλη πόλη ή περιοχή ακόμη και απο το να επιλέξεις και να μεταφέρεις το αντικέιμενο μόνος σου ακόμη και απο τη γειτονιά σου.

ganoderma
  • By jack13 at 7:24am 18 February 2015

Οι μεταφορικές εταιρίες αναλαμβάνουν τη μεταφορά μικρών αντικειμένων μέχρι και αρκετά βαρέων και ευθραστων μηχανημάτων, με το ανάλλογο κόστος. Το πλεονέκτημα αυτών των εταιριών είναι τα συνεχή δρομολόγια προς όλες της πόλεις της Ελλάδος αρκετές φορές μέσα στην εβδομάδα. Αυτό επιτυγχάνεται χάρη στη συνεργασία των μεταφορικών μεταξύ τους.

forklift rentals
  • By jack13 at 12:12pm 18 February 2015

from this source with nice image transition effects.
More options to make..

mobile modular
  • By zilky at 2:57pm 18 February 2015

This article is well worth you appreciate. This is truly magnificent thing! love your style, I surely showed!

Painter and Decorator Edinburgh
  • By jack13 at 6:54am 19 February 2015

Hi Abby, I'm Andy writing from rural Kansas and my question is: Are you single and if so, how do feel about marriage? Sorry Alex and Tyler.

buy youtube likes
  • By zilky at 10:27am 19 February 2015

I do taking after your unbreakable job and will prevent for more post from you as post provided for me joy and provides for a few serves to do same work right here.

Addiction Specialist's coverage
  • By zilky at 1:59pm 19 February 2015

this is really good I just love it all thought really nice one keep updating us with this thought.

enterprise cloud solutions

I am seeking wonderful news and thought. What I have found from your site, it is really exceedingly content. Much obliged concerning posting this insight.

keto diet food list

The world is changing fast. people are also being changed.day by day we are becoming more dependant on degital system.yoU make me think of this really.You have a nice way of sharing your thoughts.

shredders

Commande passée. Pour le petit bout n°3 de la famille, elle a choisi une adorable grille de C mon monde "100 % ours" et la finalité de montage était "pas trop rose"...

how to make ice cream

Totally awesome posting! Bunches of valuable data and impulse, both of which we all need!Relay admire your work.

make your own music beats

Significant illumination. Lucky me I revealed your web website accidentally, that i'm stunned why this mishap neglected to happened prior!

plombier jouy le moutier

Laboratorio de análisis clínicos en Clínica DAM, calle Marqués de Jura Real, 12, 28019 Madrid, teléfono 91 460 80 00.Más del 70 por ciento de todas las decisiones de salud se basan en la información vital proporcionada por los análisis clínicos realizados en los laboratorios.Nuestro servicio al cliente atiende con rapidez sus demandas sobre el estado de los análisis, instrucciones sobre manipulación de especímenes o petición de análisis.Laboratorio de Analisis Clinicos

I am happy that you simply imparted this accommodating data to us. If you don't mind stay us avant-garde like this. A debt of gratitude is in order regarding imparting.

moviestarplanethacktool.net