Tribute 'portrait bench’ unveiled to cycling campaign legend Barry Mason in Greenland Dock

Barry Mason bench

Earlier this month, people from all around London rode to the unveiling of a portrait bench, alongside a bike route in South London, featuring a symbolic sculptural tribute to renowned campaigner Barry Mason (pictured below) who died in June 2012.

The sculpture features two of Barry’s prime interests - bicycles and birds - and stands alongside sculptures of actor Michael Caine, and Phylis Pearsall, creator of the A to Z map.

Barry was a driving force behind the revival of cycle campaigning first in Greenwich (as coordinator of the LCC group Greenwich Cyclists) and then in Southwark (as coordinator of Southwark Cyclists).

Campaigners from around London sought Barry’s sage advice on successful campaigning techniques which he utilised to great effect in Southwark persuading the council to listen to cycle users and improve access for cyclists.

As well as campaigning for improved facilities Barry established legendary status as a ride leader with several of his rides, including the Locks, Docks and One Smoking Ferry Ride, becoming essential occasions in the London cycling calendar.

For many years Barry arranged logistics for the now world-famous Dunwich Dynamo – a 120-mile overnight ride to the Suffolk Coast which boomed in popularity under his leadership.

One of Barry’s pieces of advice to campaigners was that organised rides are an excellent way of recruiting more activists.

In his day job Barry ran the Surrey Docks City Farm which flourished under his management.

The portrait bench along a cycling link in Southwark is one of a series of such benches installed by Sustrans to mark it’s Connect-2 cycling projects.

Barry Mason

I had the honour of knowing Barry in his later years, and took to heart his advice on the value of organised social rides. Some of the rides that I lead today are variations on Barry's routes, and I and my fellow members of the Dog & Bell Crew of SE London ride leaders hold dear the memory of Barry. We miss Barry terribly, and are doing our best to build on his considerable legacy.

It's a shame that the portraits have been put in the wrong place in relation to the bench. I've been on to Sustrans about this and they agree that there has been a mistake. They have sent me the plan for the installation, which show that the 3 statues are not where Sustrans asked for them to be placed. Not only is the result aesthetically unpleasing, but there's hardly any bum room on the bench, so it's a bit useless, not fit for purpose. I think Barry would have had words with them about that. He liked things to be fit for purpose. Anyway, I'm chasing it up... Jane

• By zilky at 11:30am 11 February 2015

This can be a decent instructive distribute. I adore how you have sorted out the majority of the information right here.

teds woodworking plans review
  • By zilky at 9:02am 11 January 2015

Extremely enlightening and accommodating. I was hunting down this data however there are extremely restricted assets.

PDF
  • By zilky at 4:14pm 22 January 2015

Great article! I was considering some of your articles on this website and I imagine this web webpage is truly educational!

• By zilky at 5:10pm 24 January 2015

It makes individuals need to close the page. Since they can't do anything in there on the off chance that they are accounted for as spam.

say i sent you
  • By zilky at 9:37pm 4 February 2015

I might want to thank you for offering your considerations into the stuff you post!!

depannage serrurier 24h24

Much obliged concerning the considerable article here.I plan to see all the more such decent articles in the closest future as well..

astuce clash of clans
  • By zilky at 4:11pm 31 January 2015

Exceptionally enlightening post! There is a great deal of data here that can help any business begin with a fruitful interpersonal interaction crusade!

perm yaki human hair

• By zilky at 9:14am 8 February 2015

Any way I'll be subscribing to your food and I expect you post again in the blink of an eye.

carbonfiberco
  • By zilky at 3:58pm 12 February 2015

I read writes on a comparable point, yet i never went by your web journal. I added it to top picks and i'll be your steady peruser.

Custody
  • By zilky at 9:17pm 12 February 2015

I truly appreciate this subject you've got going ahead in your site page. What is the name of the format incidentally.

parachute pants for women
  • By jack13 at 8:28am 14 February 2015

I undertook quite a rigorous cycling proficiency training at school, including on road training, & have never forgotten the lessons.  Knowing what to do in traffic & at junctions is vital.

• By zilky at 9:07pm 15 February 2015

I truly appreciated understanding it and you just make some awesome focuses.

My web site here
  • By jack13 at 5:40am 16 February 2015

I truly appreciated understanding it and you just make some awesome focuses.

gas hot water heater
  • By AsharSeo at 7:27am 16 February 2015

I truly appreciated understanding it and you just make some awesome focuses.

free credit reports from all 3 bureaus
  • By jack13 at 10:56am 16 February 2015

adly there are now more than 20 children in Somalia suffering from paralysis after becoming infected "

does vigrx plus work
  • By jack13 at 6:32am 17 February 2015

Rigorous cycling proficiency training at school, including on road training, & have never forgotten the lessons.

cost of mold remediation
  • By jack13 at 10:58am 17 February 2015

touch screen imac

Ενώ κάποτε οι υπηρεσίες μεταφορών ήταν αρκετά ασύμφορες αλλά και με μεγαλύτερη καθυστέρηση, πλέον λόγω της μεγάλης ζήτησης αλλά και των ευκολιών μεταξύ των μεταφορικών μπορεί να καλύψει ακόμη και τον πιο απαιτητικό πελάτη και να προσφέρουν σε πολύ λογικές τιμές και με μεγάλη ταχύτητα προιόντα απο οπαιδήποτε περιοχή της Ελλάδος πρός οποιαδήποτε περιοχή της Ελλάδος ή και εκτός.

φωτογραφος γαμου
  • By jack13 at 7:21am 18 February 2015

Οι μεταφορικές εταιρίες αναλαμβάνουν τη μεταφορά μικρών αντικειμένων μέχρι και αρκετά βαρέων και ευθραστων μηχανημάτων, με το ανάλλογο κόστος. Το πλεονέκτημα αυτών των εταιριών είναι τα συνεχή δρομολόγια προς όλες της πόλεις της Ελλάδος αρκετές φορές μέσα στην εβδομάδα. Αυτό επιτυγχάνεται χάρη στη συνεργασία των μεταφορικών μεταξύ τους.

forklift parts supply
  • By jack13 at 12:38pm 18 February 2015

I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had
any luck up until this points, You just got a new biggest fan!..

mobile trailers
  • By zilky at 3:02pm 18 February 2015

This is similar to my fourth time halting over your Blog. Ordinarily, I don't make remarks on site, however I need to say that this post truly pushed me to do as such.

Painter and Decorator Edinburgh
  • By jack13 at 8:11am 19 February 2015

We’ll be using our Facebook page to host discussions and contests (stay tuned!);

buy youtube views and likes
  • By zilky at 10:34am 19 February 2015

I think you made some great focuses in qualities moreover. hold utilized, huge occupation!

more to explore
  • By zilky at 8:44pm 19 February 2015

This posting is sublime and what an awesome examination that you have done. It has helped me a ton. thank you kindly.

growtopia hack
  • By zilky at 4:30pm 19 February 2015

This specific net webpage is seriously thrilling and enjoyment to learn. I’m an enormous fan from the subjects mentioned.

click this
  • By jack13 at 5:33am 20 February 2015

Those that are offensive or abusive will be edited or removed and we reserve the right to suspend the accounts of users posting such material.
Fresno SEO Kings

• By zilky at 2:23pm 21 February 2015

I anticipate future upgrades. By and by much appreciated. Your online journal compose truly having an exceptional style.

rezforhire.com/resume-objective-examples/objective-for-resume-examples
  • By alex12 at 2:36pm 22 February 2015

I start so various amazing pack in your website particularly its discussion. Really its extensive stipulation.enterprise cloud software

• By zilky at 9:26pm 22 February 2015

I get a considerable measure of extraordinary data here and this is the thing that I am scanning for. Much obliged to you for your offering. I have bookmark this page for my future reference.

keto diet food list

I really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors for this blog. I will bookmark your blog and have my friends check up here often.

shred service

A Tour de France rider will average 200-300 watts for a four-hour stage;
that’s an intensity most recreational riders can sustain for only an

best ice cream machines

I will really be thankful the essayist's decision for picking this adroit article important to my affair.

blutdruck senken

I am extremely delighted in for this web journal. Its an educational subject. It help me all that much to take care of a few issues.

sanitation

This is a radiant post I seen on account of offer it. I just needed to record a fast word so as to say on account of you for those radiant tips and clues you are indicating on this site.

dallas austin producer

I would be happy to suggest the post for its quality substance. Pleasant post.

plombier mantes la ville

Laboratorio de análisis clínicos en Clínica DAM, calle Marqués de Jura Real, 12, 28019 Madrid, teléfono 91 460 80 00.Más del 70 por ciento de todas las decisiones de salud se basan en la información vital proporcionada por los análisis clínicos realizados en los laboratorios.Nuestro servicio al cliente atiende con rapidez sus demandas sobre el estado de los análisis, instrucciones sobre manipulación de especímenes o petición de análisis.Analisis de Orina

I am much appreciative to you for offering an exceptionally pleasant point. I have perused which are truly not great.

microsoftoffice2010.co

A debt of gratitude is in order regarding taking the time to talk about that, I feel firmly about this thus truly like getting to know all the more on this sort of field.

game cheats

Much obliged concerning the immense article here. I was hunting down something to that effect for very much quite a while and finally I have discovered it here.

anabolic cooking recipes

In which big blunder if we've opinion in which education is way to obtain business. Education is made for all. Individuals need schooling for develop themselves regarding future hope. So, nothing the explanation for takes some funds from folks via schooling. rumieducation.asia Education is merely degrees or perhaps certificates; this is a way to a improved total well being. It is fairly significant and also requisite. You have got great upcoming plans to your children and even for oneself then schooling loans can easily undoubtedly give you financial you need. highqualityeducation.org On the World Schooling Forum inside Dakar, Senegal, inside 2000, officers from a hundred and eighty countries established a tough goal: Ensuring usage of primary education for many children simply by 2015. "Will we ensure it is? " The most frequent question asked from the concerned citizens with the world. Yet yes, we is likely to make it. Education for many is none an illusive fantasy nor an easy task. educationav.net

Every motorist wants perfect future safety for his / her newly obtained car and also providing automobile insurance quotes are a intricate world regarding calculations and also logistics that will perplex many consumers directly into quoting a great inappropriate number on bouncing in around the first package that comes as you go along without bothering to see finer information or examine the insurance coverage schemes with the policy. www.autofuture.net Nowadays you can find numerous smartly packed cellphones you can purchase that allow you to get good thing about experiencing every little thing at individual platform, and Hands Pixi Additionally is one of them. www.autopixi.net Automobile industry social support systems all have got different principles and protocols to generate their special identities inside the auto industry as well as the inter-dependent car advertising market. auto-remont.net

Once you learn that enterprise travel just isn't without the risk as well as the potential regarding crisis, then you should read this informative article. In this informative article we intend to talk in regards to the management and also containment regarding crisis because it relates to be able to travelers and also travel administrators. impact-travel.net Many individuals are unclear in regards to the travel market. Travel agents tend to be considered to be the just like real estate professionals. Becoming any travel agent or maybe more specifically a property based vacation agent can be an... thorntontravel.net

In terms of education, you would like to leave simply no room regarding mistakes. You should do this when and you should do it proper. So here's a review of some intelligent education movements concerning your career you will not repent. smartgrideducation.org It might seem changing the oil and also filter aids remove contaminates in which form coming from using standard motor oil as opposed to full man made motor acrylic, well this is simply not always the truth! Not almost all synthetic skin oils are the same either. fullingmotor.asia Driving a bike on roads, gravel and also twisty roads may be challenging. Figure out how to embrace these kinds of challenges simply by knowing every one of these techniques. Bear in mind, every sort of roads which you traverse will provide you with a perception of pleasure and success. twistyride.asia

Engineering stocks have become fickle in terms of investors making large profits from their website. One evening, you're soaring an excellent source of the oxygen, and then the very next day, you're buried greater than 6ft. strong. art-tech.asia One of many side effects individuals lives nowadays is intense stress. Stress can easily activate being hungry. brainwave entrainment can easily reduce binging simply by activating special aspects of the human brain that maintain your appetite and also compulsions responsible.. cravetechnology.net Technology can be an ever increasing market in the present society. Everybody everywhere in the world will come in to experience of technology no less than 5 times per day, and media indicates in which 2011 is defined to notice an unheard of growth. scientifictechnology.net

Ever had a fantasy that sensed so genuine you thought it absolutely was reality? Imagine if somebody actually was able to sneak into your brain while you're having in which dream? In which, in any nutshell could be the premise regarding Inception, Christopher Nolan's fresh movie as well as the best anyone to come out there in quite a while. inceptiontechnology.net Pondering which genre with the science careers in UK can cause a productive career and also profession. Properly, biomedical sciences will be the just about the most promising areas in brITISH nowadays. biotechnologyjobsearch.net Together with hotels situated in former stately Victorian terraced community houses, gorgeous tree layered avenues several even inside restored Victorian outlined buildings. The accommodations around Hyde Playground offer excellent service along with being around Hyde Park that offers jogging, bicycling, sailing and also riding services in key London. parkhotel.asia

In order to travel but do not think you are able to afford it, you ought to read about. You will get great travel relates to just a small amount of research. findgreattraveldeals.net In case a sales man must visit In cities of course, if each metropolis is linked to the some other city, then what exactly is the quickest path this individual should take so that you can minimize expense of vacation? This write-up discusses the particular travelling revenue man problem and its particular applications. travelingsales.net Cautiously planned and also organized vacation can become real entertaining and fascinating and undoubtedly leaves us all with fantastic memories which is often truly cherished for your rest individuals lives. Nonetheless, with every one of the fun and also excitement, organizing a proper family vacation plan can be a huge risk plus a big duty. bigfamilytravels.net

This is likewise a decent post which I truly appreciated perusing. It is not ordinary that I have the likelihood to see something like this.

HGH Guide