2012- choosing LCC's priority for the mayoral election

The June-July 2011 issue of London Cyclist calls for a discussion about what LCC's key talking point should be for the 2011 Mayoral election.

Your ideas here!

This post was edited by tomhopes at 6:16pm 20 November 2012.

Replies

I believe that more of the general public will only support spending in cycling infrastructure if there is an emotional issue which connects them to the improvement of cycling. Road deaths are a risky topic for cyclists. The risks of talking about road deaths are that it is a focus on a negative emotion, and that it will reinforce people's doubts about cycling. However, safety is both the biggest issue facing london cyclists and the biggest disincentive to cycling. So tackling safety is the biggest imperative. This is the reason for investing in cycling infrastructure. Therefore I believe that the most powerful emotional argument underlying all cycling as transport issues is to discuss road deaths. And talking about a single, specific real person will illustrate the issue in the way that Nada did in Iran or Hamza did in Syria. It was parents demanding safety for their children in the Netherlands that caused a change in policy there.

This content was deleted by tomhopes at 11:23am 4 June 2011.

Here's another: 5% for 5%!! Let's have 5% of transport spending NOW to help us achieve 5% of modal share!
Just testing my log-in - good to see this starting to be used

Given that it's likely that the Boris bike scheme will continue to expand in some form whichever candidate is elected. How's this for a bold idea which could define in a positive way the next mayor's term.

Make Oxford street & a major river crossing pedestrian & cycle only.

It would be a huge statement of intent by the candidates if they were to support this. Given the high volumes of cyclists over some of the bridges i.e. Southwark already it wouldn't be a major hinderance to people flow. If anything it could enhance it. Oxford Street is mainly full of people, buses and taxis. A lot of the bus routes start/end either at Oxford Circus or Marble Arch. Deliveries could be done at specific times in the day, and it could become a large pedestrian area with wide cycle lanes down the middle. And drivers of cars could still cross Oxford street, but with care. No traffic lights required, just safe considerate driving.

Given the volume of pedestrians that would calm drivers down anyway.

• By Jim at 6:36pm 23 June 2011

Can I just ask whether this thread is where members are meant to vote for their favoured campaign issue, as heavily trailed in the latest issue of the magazine? If so, I think you need to make it a bit clearer what people are voting on, and drum up some more traffic too.

if not, and you are still at the stage of working up options, then here's a suggestion.

First, I'm not sure it's possible to come up with one policy that satisfies the criteria of simplicity, effectiveness, feasibility and popularity. I think the objective should be to create streets that everyone can feel safe cycling on, but as you yourselves have pointed out that does not mean a one-size-fits-all approach. But if you are looking for a single slogan, how about 'Cycle lanes your mum/your granny/an eight year old child would use'?

• By raif_s at 8:19pm 23 June 2011

This topic is a bit of muddle. Please rename this as '2012 - chosing LCC's priority for the mayoral election' as I had problems finding it, thinking that this 2012 topic was just something to do with the Olympics. Also please add the three options in the magazine to remind people and focus the discussion:

- Getting 100,000 school children cycling

- Getting more space for cycling (without actually being clear what that means)

- Smarter Zones that prioritise sustainable travel

[admin person, pls delete the text above if you can do that]

In my view, the priority needs to work with the following criteria:

- appealing to more than just (current) cyclists if it is going to get political traction and not just be seen about currying favours to a particular interest group

- appeal across London, not just being about central London (after all Boris won by getting votes from outer London and now Ken is doing his best to court the suburbs)

- be key to getting London on the way to be a true cycling City where at least one in five trips are made by cycle

The first two ideas fail, dare I say it miserably. The third idea is a great one, as you can be visual with it. Compare the images of fume filled snarl up of Oxford St or indeed outer London town centres with contintental style planning that prioritises people by reallocating space to walking, cycling, pavement cafes etc. This is about improving quality of life, supporting your local shops etc. It's key to making cycling and other sustainable travel more competitive over driving.

• By dave at 9:37pm 4 July 2011

"Going Dutch" is not about road space, it is about segregation. Why does LCC shy away from this word. There is plenty of 'space' for bikes round Algate gyratory, or lanes covered in blue paint. But motorcycles enter cycle-boxes, lorries drive into the blue lanes at the junctions, delivery vans park in space on main roads, etc. etc..

We need roads that my mum/gran/son will be drawn to cycle in. The ONLY way to avoid the BATTLE on the roads is to be segregated, like in Holland.

NO to blue paint. NO to wide roads. YES to physical barriers protecting cyclists along main roads.

Cologne has a simple rule - all roads have either a separated cycle track or allow you to cycle on the pavement. It is bliss. My mum hasn't cycled for 20 years, but was happy to cycle all around the town centre. There are only so many Greenways and canal tow paths in London which live up to this standard.

raif_s; I followed your advice as to the topic- but since I myseld don't think that any of London Cycling's proposed options are any good, I wanted to keep the discussion open.

How about just enforcing the traffic regulations we have in place just for starters!! On my commute through central London every day about 4 out of 5 Advanced Stop Lines are infringed by general traffic causing danger to all cyclists as they're then trapped within the queuing traffic. Most drivers/riders seem unaware of the laws - some simple education/signs/warning letters through the post for those caught on camera surely can't hurt can it?

Are LCC and Sustrans talking to each other about the Mayoral Elections in 2012?   Are the campaigns joined up or do they jst look very similar?

Nick, Richmond CC

Post a reply

Sign in to post a reply.