Know a rough road in Westminster?
Westminster cyclists have been invited to tell the council about roads that are unpleasant to cycle on because of their poor surface.
Although the condition of most of Westminster's roads compares quite favourably with many other London boroughs, there are sections that have been repaired many times, leaving an irregular surface that is unpleasant to cycle over, especially on a small-wheel bike. There are also sections badly affected by cracking and subsidence.
The conventional way of assessing whether a road needs resurfacing is to evaluate it in 100-metre lengths. That means that a road with a cluster of defects close together may still be considered to be satisfactory. This may explain why the condition of certain roads can sometimes seem worse to cyclists than to engineers.
Westminster's councillors now seem to recognise that a poor surface can be a problem for cyclists and have invited the Westminster Cycling Campaign LCC group to identify roads that require resurfacing.
What you can do
- If it's a single isolated defect in an otherwise acceptable stretch of road, you should report it to www.westminster.gov.uk - click on 'Tell us'.
- But if the road is a complete mess then the Westminster Cyclists LCC group can refer to the council. We have already referred the following roads:
- Allsop Place NW1
- Avenue Road NW8
- Bentinck Street
- Bolsover Street W1W
- Cumberland Street SW1
- Eaton Square - SW corner leading to Eaton Place
- Elizabeth Street - near the coach station
- Gloucester Place
- Great Marlborough Street
- Great Smith Street
- Greycoat Place - near the fire station and the school
- John Islip Street - the Vauxhall Bridge Road end
- Lowndes Street - Lowndes Square end
- Lupus Street - each side of the junction with St George's Drive / Claverton Street
- Marylebone Station forecourt
- Matthew Parker Street
- North Audley Street
- Rathbone Place, especially at approach to Oxford Street
- St John's Wood Road / Grove End Road / Lisson Grove junction NW8
- St Martin's Place (southbound)
- Welbeck Street
Do you know any rough roads we should add to our list?
This post was edited by dominicfee at 09:18am 21 Feb 2013.