London to Newcastle Route

Afternoon People,

 

Its my first post on here - Looking for some advice....

In 8 weeks a couple of friends and I will be riding from SE London to Newcastle.

Its a tribute to a friends mothers untimely death who was originally from Newcastle.

 

We are looking at routes and currently looking something like:

Day 1: London - Cambridge

Day 2: Cambridge - Nottingham

Day 3: Nottingham - Scunthorpe

Day 4: Scunthorpe - York

Day 5 York - Newcastle

 

Just wondered if anyone has done anything similar and any advice on routes?

We are not pros by any stretch but all cycle to work daily and have been building up our rides in the lead up to it.

 

Any recommended stops en route would be much appreciated.

 

Thanks and Safe Cycling

 

Paul

Replies

  • By Lowlife at 9:42am 6 April 2013

Hi Paul

This is not exactly a route description, but it does include Clapton to Newcastle.

http://www.bikefix.co.uk/shop/index.php?unique=d6e7fbefd3f259d3e16f3a57a1c4fbbb&get_ol_id=1&get_gl_id=62&r_full_id=8#nItem8

 

Good luck!

Have you tried Google maps yet?

I know Google maps for cycling are not yet perfected, but I used it to plan a Cambs to London ride, then used the acompanying street view to look more closely at some of the questionable roads, and whether or not they have cycle paths.

Overall, 90% of my route ended up on very nice country lanes, and most of the remaining 10% were on main roads that had cycle paths at the side.

I'd strongly suggest that you look at the suggestions from CycleStreets.

Just follow National Cycle Route 1 it's signposted all the way.

Post a reply

Sign in to post a reply.