Space for Cycling Campaign & Activism Volunteer
February - May 2014
2 days per week (flexible)
We're looking for an enthusiastic, friendly and dedicated volunteer to assist our busy Campaigns Team and work with our Activism Coordinator during our exciting Space for Cycling Campaign from February - May 2014.
We'd like someone to join us in our Central London office for two days per week (we can be fairly flexible on days to suit other committments). You will be working closely with our Activism Coordinator to help plan, coordinate and develop activities which aim to support the overall campaign and promote Space for Cycling to a wider audience, and encourage people to take action. But more specifically you will help to support our network of Local Groups and Campaign Organisers with their local activism throughout the campaign.
The role would suit someone looking to gain or develop experience in working for an NGO or campaigning organisation.
- Supporting our designated Campaign Organisers and Local Group members by responding to enquires, answering questions and providing relevant campaign information
- Assisting in monitoring campaigning activities in each borough and helping to keep track of progress
- Helping to collate feedback from Campaign Organisers and Local Group Members
- Researching local election candidates to help develop our database ahead of the public campaign launch and campaign email action
- Helping to collate digital collateral for our campaign 'hub', including photos, videos and weblinks identifying local campaign information
- Ensuring activist resources are promoted and made available in appropriate places including dispatching materials to local groups and activists
- Helping to mobilise and encourage new supporters and assist in directing potential volunteers and supporters to local groups
- Helping to coordinate activist workshops and events coordinated by the LCC Office throughout the campaign
- General support for the campaign which could include other ad hoc research tasks and projects
- Working with other office volunteers to undertake the tasks above
Experience in InDesign, Photoshop, social media and general digital/web skills would be an advantage, and there may be scope to use these skills within this role where appropriate.
Skills / Experience:
- Strong communication skills – online, written, in person and using the telephone
- Excellent organisational skills
- Administration and some experience of working in an office environment is desirable
- IT - must be highly competent in using the internet, email, Word and Excel at a minimum.
- Ability to work independently and under own initiative including undertake researchand seek information without supervision
- Campaigning – experience of public affairs and/or campaigning in any capacity. This could be through a local campaigning group as an activist or another volunteer role.
- Awareness of UK political processes, specifically at a local council level
- An interest in cycling issues
- Commitment to and understanding of LCCs aims and objectives
Space for Cycling campaign
We’re planning for 2014 to be a milestone year for the London Cycling Campaign. Space for Cycling is a hugely ambitious campaign to put safe space for cycling on the agenda of thousands of councillor candidates in the run up to the local elections next May. Our councils control 90% of our city streets, and it’s vital the authorities take steps to improve them so they’re safe and inviting enough for cycling to be a genuine choice for every Londoner, whatever their age or ability.
Our campaign will target local election candidates, many of whom will go on to become councillors and make key decisions about how our neighbourhood streets are designed.
Interested individuals may find it helpful to read through the documents some of the information contained in our Space for Cycling campaign Activist Pack.
How to apply
Please send a CV and cover letter outlining how you meet the skills required and why you would like to volunteer for LCC to Amy Summers, Activism Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than noon on Wednesday 5th February. Please note we may invite candidates to interview before this date.
The ideal candidate would be able to start immediately and would be with us until the end of May 2014.
LCC's head offices is at 2 Newhams Row, London, SE1 3UZ. We provide expenses for lunch on the days that volunteers work.