Space for Cycling Volunteers needed
April - May 2014
2 days per week (flexible - can be comprised of half days)
We're looking for enthusiastic, friendly and dedicated volunteers to assist our busy staff team during our exciting Space for Cycling Campaign from now until May 2014.
We'd like people to join us in our Central London office to help with a range of tasks to support the campaign. This could involve:
- Assisting at events, including our 'Big Ride' on the 17th May
- Handing out flyers and campaign materials
- Compiling resource packs
- Helping with research tasks
- Processing responses from candidates and logging campaign emails
- Taking photos to use on social media or on our website
- Undertaking general office administration to support campaign activities such as answering the phone, processing enquiries or posting out materials
- Responding to email enquiries from members of the public
- Supporting other projects related to the campaign
Our varied staff team will be looking for help with such activities from now until May. Much of the work would be based in our office near London Bridge, but some of it could involve being outside, attending events or handing out campaign materials and so on.
All such tasks would be working to support our Space for Cycling campaign ahead of the London 2014 local elections on 22 May. We are calling on every candidate in this year’s council elections in London, to support one specific action to create safe Space for Cycling in their area.
The London Cycling Campaign believes that every Londoner, whatever their age or ability, deserves safe and inviting space for cycling on all London’s streets.
Skills / Experience required:
- Communication skills – online, written, in person and using the telephone
- Excellent organisational skills
- Administration and some experience of working in an office environment is desirable
- IT - must be competent in using the internet, email, plus MS Word and Excel at a minimum.
- Ability to work independently and under own initiative including undertake research and seek information without supervision
- Awareness of UK political processes, specifically at a local council level
- An interest in cycling issues
- Commitment to and understanding of LCCs aims and objectives
How to apply
Please send a CV and short cover letter outlining how you meet the skills required and why you would like to volunteer for LCC to Amy Summers, Activism Coordinator: email@example.com by noon on the 25th April. But we're looking for people to start as soon as possible, so we may recruit people before this date.
The ideal candidates would be able to start immediately and would be with us until the end of May 2014.
LCC Offices are located at 2 Newhams Row, SE1 3UZ. We provide expenses for lunch on the days that volunteers work.
Space for Cycling Campaign
We’re planning for 2014 to be a milestone year for the London Cycling Campaign. Space for Cycling is a hugely ambitious campaign to put safe space for cycling on the agenda of thousands of councillor candidates in the run up to the local elections in May. Our councils control 90% of our city streets, and it’s vital the authorities take steps to improve them so they’re safe and inviting enough for cycling to be a genuine choice for every Londoner, whatever their age or ability.
Our campaign is targeting local election candidates, many of whom will go on to become councillors and make key decisions about how our neighbourhood streets are designed.