Imagine a Liveable London. A city where it’s enjoyable and safe to walk and cycle for all your local trips, there are relaxing places outside where you can watch the world go by, chat with your neighbours, and children can safely roam and walk or cycle to school.
You council has a huge say in what your streets feel like, and with the council elections at the start of May, now is the time to let potential council leaders that you want them to bring your borough to life.
Why is a Liveable London important?
All across London, councils are grappling with a large number of complex and urgent issues. But by creating areas where everyone can walk and cycle safely and happily, you make it easier for people to choose to leave the car at home, councils can:
- Make our air cleaner and safer
- Make residents healthier
- Get children moving
- Build stronger communities
- Keep your borough moving
To help councils tackle these issues, the Mayor and TfL have announced funding of over £110 million for boroughs to create ‘Liveable Neighbourhoods’ – places where it’s safe, pleasant, and easy to walk and cycle more, and drive less.
By building areas where it is enjoyable and safe to walk and cycle everyday journeys, we can foster healthier and stronger communities, where children can roam and walk or cycle to school. Where neighbours can pause and catch-up on the pavement. Where there is less rat running, fewer traffic jams and cleaner air. We can build places where everyone can live well, breathe easy, walk and cycle safely and happily.
LCC and Living Streets working together
LCC and Living Streets are working together with the London Living Streets group to raise the voice of people wanting a safer and more enjoyable London for people on foot and bike. We know that the needs and demands of people walking and cycling more often than not go hand in hand, especially when it comes to creating less car-dominated neighbourhoods. Together, we’ll be calling for a more Liveable London.
How do I get involved?
- Email your future council leader – use our quick email tool to send a message to all the party leaders in your borough, asking for a more Liveable London
- Get in touch with your local group – they will be able to let you know what they are planning on doing in the run-up to May 3rd, and how you can help
- Sign-up to LCC’s newsletters – make sure you can stay up-to-date with the campaign. We’ll let you know about upcoming events in your area, and the best way to get in touch with your candidates.
- Read up on our resources - so you know which questions to ask at transport hustings, what we've said to candidates already and all about "low traffic neighbourhoods", one of the Liveable Neighbourhood ideas we're really keen on.
Which borough party leaders have pledged their support?
We're asking the potential next council leaders in your borough to pledge to "submit a high-quality Liveable Neighbourhood bid, based in an area with high potential for walking and cycling, taking major steps to prioritise people walking and cycling over private cars in the area". Want to see who in your area is signed up so far? Click here.