You won’t just work for LCC, you’ll work for everyone who cycles or wants to in London – helping build a healthier, happier, more resilient city.
LCC is keen to attract staff and volunteers from groups that are under-represented in the organisation. Applicants who can demonstrate lived experience of diversity and/or understanding of the issues most affecting our community are particularly welcome.
Application deadline ongoing
We face a climate crisis. Road transport is a large slice of carbon emissions – and one of the few sectors rising. We urgently need to reduce motor traffic levels in London and provide good alternatives to the car. Join us in campaigning for Climate Safe Streets in every London Borough. As a Climate Safe Streets Champion you will lead the way in your own local authority to help LCC reach its CSS goals of a Carbon Zero transport Network by 2030 – At the local elections in May 2022, we secured pledges from many council leaders. You will join LCC activists in your area to continue applying pressure on your council, whether or not they’ve pledged, to ensure they show strong commitments to deal with the Climate Emergency by making walking, wheeling and cycling a more attractive option for everyday journeys.
Application deadline ongoing
LCC is a volunteer led organisation supported by a core staff team. We have a number of projects that we need help on. LCC are looking for volunteers to help with the following projects.
1. Help scope and support our work on creating an accessible and inclusive cycling network in London. We need help setting up a project that identifies barriers to inclusive access on London’s cycling network. You will help scope out and write up the project and help create case studies of bad practice. The project will involve both building and adding to a database of barriers, including mapping them, and enabling local groups and campaigners to crowdsource issues, ensuring them adding to the database is easy, and over time you’ll then also be analysing the database with project team members – so basic IT skills are essential, and a good understanding of mapping apps and ideally setting up data entry systems would be useful but not essential. Time = 10-15 days work
2. Support our Dangerous Junctions campaign by analysing data to expand our list of junctions to cover outer London and look at high serious/low fatal junctions. You will analyse data and apply our campaigns team methodology to help create a list of junctions. The project will involve a lot of poring over maps of collisions and potentially helping refine criteria and automating the process so basic IT skills are essential and a good understanding of mapping apps and ideally basic programming skills to interrogate a database would be useful but not essential. Time = 10-15 days work
3. Borough cycle parking project – help research and create a list of cycle parking provide across London. You will create a list of what cycle parking is provided in each borough and look at the need. Including highlighting an areas of communities which are being missed out. Basic IT skills are essential, but interpersonal skills via email and telephone etc. would be useful. Time 15-20 days work
4. Women on Wheels project – as part of LCC’s work on diversity and inclusion in cycling we are setting up a network to get more women cycling. We need someone to support the setup and creation of this network and associated activities such as rides. You will help to collect and highlight barriers women face to cycling by talking to LCC members, supporters and other female cycling groups in London. Time needed 1 day a week during setup / 1-2 days a month after that.
5. Cycling in London’s Ethnic Minority communities – support LCC with bringing together members and supporters who have a BAME background. You will support staff with running events and supporting a network if one is created. You will help document the barriers and work on ways LCC can campaign for more inclusive access. You will also help explain these issues to the rest of the LCC community at meetings or events. Having lived experience of the barriers faced by people from London’s ethnic minorities would be advantageous. Time needed 0.5-1 day a week during setup / 1-2 days a month after that.
6. Cycling in London’s LGBTQ+ communities – support LCC with bringing together members and supporters who are LGBTQ+. You will support staff with running events and supporting a network if one is created. You will help identify if there are any specific barriers individuals and communities face and work on ways LCC can campaign for more inclusive access. You will also help explain these issues to the rest of the LCC community at meetings or events. Having lived experience of the barriers faced by LGBTQ+ Londoners would be advantageous. Time needed 0.5-1 day a week during setup / 1-2 days a month after that.
7. We need help supporting LCC Community rides by adding ride details to our map on the website and to our internal database. You will make sure the website and database our up-to-date and data is displayed in a way that is helpful to the public. You will liaise with our local group volunteers. Time 1- 0.5 day a week
We are flexible in how we support volunteers – not all tasks need to be done in the LCC office but some contact time with LCC staff will be needed. The time given for each project is just a guide
Other Ways to get involved